Community leaders have long dreamed about establishing Jewish space on Portland’s vibrant, rapidly expanding Eastside. Now, in collaboration with more than a dozen community partners, this dream is within grasp. Guided by timeless Jewish values, the Eastside Jewish Commons (EJC) will create a vibrant and inclusive family and social gathering place with educational, cultural, spiritual, and recreational programming. The EJC will both serve and strengthen our community for generations to come.
Our vision includes:
- On-site high-quality childcare and preschool.
- Regular programs for children, teens, and adults provided by more than 12 Jewish community partners.
- On-site commercial kitchen, providing quality food and beverages and catering for
- Friday night dinners, private celebrations, and community gatherings.
- Multiple service options on Shabbat and holidays.
- A social action hub.
- A cultural hub for lms, concerts, lectures, and more.
- A learning center for all ages.
- A program site for children and teens when schools are out.
- Elder programs for social connection and links to needed services.
- Regular yoga and movement programs.
- A social hub across the spectrum of Jewish life.
We also held three Eastside Jewish Community sessions to ask for more specifics about what Jewish Eastsiders envision. The turnout was impressive. More than 400 attendees from 200 households gave us a great road map to find the right space and fill it with the programs people want. Click here for a report and sign up for opportunities to provide additional feedback.
Steadily, EJC has drawn supporters, early investors, and potential partners. We now have a historic opportunity to convert a good idea into actual action!
There is a lot of information on this website because a lot has happened. Browse around to see what is here. However, please also be patient because there is a lot still to be done, and many questions still to be answered as planning and development continue!
For more information you can review our FAQ section. You can also ask additional questions that you would like to see addressed.